Goal setting is a key path to success. This life hack is all about using goal setting to change your life.
We hear all this talk about “setting goals.” I’m sure at more than one point in your life somebody has told you how important it is to have goals. Most times these goals are either academic or financial. Still, goal setting is a key part of ensuring that you stay on track and you stay focused. How so?
Well, for one a goal can be anything. That’s the beauty of it. The whole idea behind a goal is breaking up something you want to achieve into actionable little parts that make it that much simpler to make it a reality.
So, in order for you to get a better picture – let’s jump into what makes a good goal and how you can go about implementing this life hack in your life.
What Makes a Good Goal
Setting goals might seem easy, but it takes a little more than saying you want to achieve something that makes it a success. Here are a few components of good goals:
- You goal makes you want to achieve it – Put simply, this means that your goal motivates you in some sort of way. It’s something that you really want to achieve and just thinking about it inspires you to make it a reality.
- Your goal is measurable and is time bound – What this means is that it’s easy to tell when you have achieved your goal because you can measure your results and progress, and you’ve also got a date by which you want to achieve it.
- You’ve got a plan on how to achieve it – This means that you’ve listed the steps that it will take for you get to your destination or goal. You can’t have a goal to become a doctor, yet have no plans of going to medical school. Great goals have clearly outlined plans to make them a reality.
- You’ve written it down – Believe it or not, writing down a goal makes it much more likely that you’ll achieve it and that you’re serious about making it a reality. Once you’ve written down your goal, you can review it often to keep you going when things to get tough.
- You commit yourself to sticking with it – It’s all well and good when a goal is motivating, when it’s measurable and time-bound and it’s great when you have written it down. Still, if you don’t resign yourself to making it a reality, it’s not going to happen. Therefore, 80% of making a good goal is how you view it and how committed you are to achieving it.
Goal Setting – The Life Hack
Now that you know what makes good goals, it’s time for you to start creating them! Think about any and everything that you want to achieve. It can range from making your first $1,000,000 to being healthier. It doesn’t matter!
However, if you’re having trouble figuring out what kind of goals to set, here are a few ideas:
- Personal Hygiene
- Learning a new skill
- Reading a book
- Trying something new
- Exploring a new location
- Personal milestones
This list is endless when it comes to the kinds of goals you can set! All you really need to do is spend a few minutes with yourself to figure out what it is you really want, and use the five tips to make that goal a good one.
“Our goals can only be reached through a vehicle of a plan, in which we must fervently believe, and upon which we must vigorously act. There is no other route to success.” – Pablo Picasso
Setting goals is key to any kind of success. Have you been setting them?